SAFE AT HOME / FIRE DO'S & DON'T'S
- DO install a smoke detector on every
- DO plan your escape routes in case fire
- DON'T smoke in bed
- DON'T place heaters within 3 feet of
- DON'T use heaters to dry clothes.
- DON'T use extension cords with portable
- DON'T leave heaters unattended or sleep
while they are on.
- DO unplug heaters after you turn them off.
|Living / Family Room
- DON'T put ashtrays
on chairs or sofa arms.
- DON'T staple
electrical cords to walls or otherwise pierce the insulation.
- DON'T leave
unattended cigarettes burning in ash trays.
- DON'T run electrical
cord under rugs, over nails or in high traffic area's.
- DO clean chimneys
- DON'T leave food
unattended on the stove. If you must leave the kitchen, take a utensil along as a
- DON'T cook while
wearing sleeves that can dangle near burners.
- DON'T let crumbs
build up in toasters.
- DON'T overload
electrical outlets with appliances.
- DON'T let curtians
hang near your range.
- DO check the kitchen
before bed. Oven off? Coffee pot unplugged?
- SMOKE DETECTORS placed near bedrooms and on every level.
- SMOKE DETECTORS' batteries checked monthly.
- Doors, hallways and stairs clear of obstructions.
- No flammable materials (such as furniture, clothes, curtains or towels) within 3 feet of
space heaters or stoves.
- No flammable liquids stored near ignition sources.
- No frayed or cracked electrical cords.
- No electrical cords under riugs, over nails or in high traffic areas.
- All fuses in fuse box are correct size.
- All outlets have cover plates and no exposed wiring.
|Alternate Heater Safety
- Plug heaters directly into the wall socket and unplug when not in use.
- No alternate heaters placed where they can be knocked over.
- No small pans on large burners or large pans on small burners.
- Dish towels not used as potholders.
- Turn pot handles away from the front of stoves.